Creating a quirky leaderboard for this equally quirky baseball season takes database resources and developer time. Your continued support and Membership allows us to afford those resources and create a leaderboard you won’t find anywhere else. If you haven’t already, please consider becoming a FanGraphs Member or donating to the site, so that we can continue to create awesome tools to answer your (and Ben’s) baseball questions.
- We have 60-game rolling stats for batters.
- We have 12-game rolling stats for pitchers. By default we only show 12-game spans that have all been starts.
- The rolling stats are delineated by season, so each span of games occurs within the same season.
- This is an extension of the data engine behind our rolling graphs on the player pages, except pivoted into a leaderboard.
- Unfortunately, the length of the rolling stats are fixed to 60 or 12 games, and can’t be changed to other values.
- Since these are rolling stats, you can have spans that have fewer than 60 or 12 games. This typically happens at the beginning of the season or if a player didn’t play enough games over the course of the entire season.
- We include data from 1974 to 2019.
- We have three different data “views”: Best Span, Worst Span, and All Spans.
- The Best Span option finds a player’s best 60- or, if you’re interested in pitchers, 12-game span for that particular stat.
- The Worst Span option does the opposite.
- When using one of these views, you have to use the drop down menu to change the stat. Simply clicking to sort won’t recalculate the player’s best or worst span; it will just sort with the current data set.
- Sometimes different time spans will have the same value for a given stat — if this happens, we report the most recent occurrence.
- The All Spans option has the underlying data for all of this. If you wanted to see all the other 60- or 12-game spans for a given player, this is the place to find that.
- We disabled data exports for All Spans, because the data set is too large for download.
- If you click on either the start date or end date in a given row, it will take you to the player’s game logs for that time span.
- You can set the season time frame you want to look at by using either the single season selector or multiple season selector.
- By default we are filtering out any spans that do not have enough PA or IP to qualify for the batting title or ERA title.
- You can use the Custom Players button to create a custom set of players. This is especially useful to cut down the number of rows on the All Spans view.
- For pitchers, you can choose “Limit to Only SP” to limit the results to spans where the pitcher has only made starts. Any span that contains a relief appearance will be discarded.
If you notice any issues or have any suggestions, please let us know in the comments!