Seeds 1-3 will go to the division winners based on record.
Seeds 4-6 will go to the runners-up based on record.
Seeds 7 and 8 will be based on record.
Thus, there is a possibility the third-best division winner actually plays a worse team than the two best division winners.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 23, 2020
The updates we made include:
- Changing the total number of teams to 16.
- Winning the division title is now reported as “Win Div 1st.”
- The division runner-up is reported as “Win Div 2nd.”
- “Win Wild Card” now represents the probability that a team secures the seventh or eighth playoff spot in their league.
- In the Postseason section of the playoff odds, we’ve changed “Make LDS” to “Win WC Series.” They are equivalent, but now the only way for a team to make the Division Series is to win its Wild Card Series.
- We cleaned up the previous runs of the 2020 playoff odds to retain the following dates:
We just received some clarity about the tiebreaker rules, but haven’t implemented them just yet. Right now, ties are broken randomly. We will include the tiebreaker rules in the near future, and expect the impact to be minimal.
If something looks off, please let us know!
Please support FanGraphs by becoming a member. We publish thousands of articles a year, host multiple podcasts, and have an ever growing database of baseball stats.
FanGraphs does not have a paywall. With your membership, we can continue to offer the content you’ve come to rely on and add to our unique baseball coverage.